Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Not Getting Caught Up in Tech

I want to jot down a short reflection on a recent project that reminded me of something.

This week was an eventful one for my students and me, we completed our first exhibition together and it was a pretty big success.  The project itself was something that my cooperating teacher had done in years past and I was pretty nervous about the whole thing.  One of the main reasons I was nervous was due to its almost completely technology-less format.  The students would be getting large player's guides that resembled a page of worksheets, using physical materials throughout the project and exhibition, and overall an absence of technology that left me feeling a bit exposed.

There were a few technology bits, I shared resources and materials with the students via Drive and they had to do some research using class computers but it was quite a bit less than I was used to.

Ultimately the success of the project was an abrupt reminder that despite the awesome and rapidly expanding abilities of technology it is merely one medium through which students can learn, not an all important panacea for all the difficulties teachers are faced with.

Also, how much I missed the convenience that advances in technology have afforded me and how much I appreciate all the work my own teachers did without it.

Not time to throw out the computer yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment